The holidays are a great time to make this lovely walnut roll!
Walnut Sweet Bread Roll
Yield: 4 servings
- 2-ounce compressed yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup butter
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 7 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm milk in a small bowl, then add sugar and combine.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 10 minutes.
- In a big bowl scald milk and add butter.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- In a small bowl beat egg yolks and then add sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- Mix all the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, sift 3 cups flour.
- Pour mixtures of prepared yeast, milk, butter, eggs, and sugar into a mixing bowl with 3 cups of flour.
- Beat with an electric mixer until smooth and elastic.
- Keep adding the remaining flour and mixing with a wooden spoon.
- Place on floured board and knead for about 15 minutes, adding flour as needed, to make non-sticking dough.
- Place dough in a light bowl and turn to grease top.
- Cover with a clean towel and let rise in a warm place for about 2 hours until double in bulk.
- When the dough has doubled, punch it down, again let rise till doubled (45 minutes).
- Meanwhile grease a round angel food cake pan.
- See part 2 for filling and baking.
Walnut Paste for Inside Sweet Bread
- 2-pound of Aurora’s organic or all-natural walnuts, ground fine
- 1/4 pound butter
- 1 1/2 cup milk, or half and half
- 2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 orange or lemon peel
- 5 egg whites
- First, prepare dough from part 1.
- Grind walnuts in a food chopper with the finest blade.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and add milk, sugar, and honey.
- Then cook to a rolling boil, taking care not to let it boil over.
- Pour hot mixture over walnuts and then add vanilla and grated peel.
- Mix thoroughly and allow to cool.
- Beat egg whites till stiff, and fold into cooled walnut mixture.
- Punch down dough, on a lightly floured surface and roll.
- Spread the filling all over the dough.
- Roll up jelly-roll fashion and place the loaf into the pan.
- Let loaf rise until almost doubled (around 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, start heating the oven to 190c.
- Brush the top of the loaf with melted butter and bake the loaf for 35 min when done, remove from the pan.
- Lay upside down on the rack to cool completely.
Attribution: Recipe is adapted from the links below. Photo is from Pixabay